Suriname Safety Workshop Summary
From 14-16 June, IADC – along with IOGP, API, and ARPEL – participated in Suriname’s Offshore Oil & Gas Environment and Safety Workshop hosted by NIMOS (Suriname’s EPA) and Staatsolie Hydrocarbon Institute (Suriname’s Offshore Regulator). The intent of this 3-day workshop was to provide a forum for discussion of fundamental offshore concepts and elements among an audience of regulators, environmental NGOs, and offshore industry stakeholders currently working or planning to begin work on Suriname’s Outer Continental Shelf.
Discussions and presentations covered a broad range of related topics, including:
- Use of standards and best practices
- Introduction to upstream trade associations
- Introduction to drilling and production processes
- Introduction of field development concepts
- Abandonment & Decommissioning
- Energy transition & the offshore workforce
Within the above workshop sessions, IADC delivered the following presentation topics:
- Intro to IADC
- Regulatory Strategy and the Bowtie Framework
- Introduction to HSE Guidance Documents (with IOGP & API)
- Overview of Drilling and Production systems
- Overview of Offshore Field/Project Development
- Great Crew Change overview
Suriname Energy Oil & Gas Summit (SEOGS) Summary
From 19-22 June, IADC also attended and participated in the 2023 Suriname Energy, Oil & Gas Summit (SEOGS 2023). This 3rd annual summit drew 800+ registrants to engage in an extensive list of subject matter presentations, panel discussions, and technical sessions hosted by business and technical experts from around the world.
On the third day of the summit, IADC – along with ARPEL and IOGP – hosted an afternoon technical session titled Offshore Regulatory development & Workshop on Cross Border Oil Spill Response, Prevention & Preparedness. The panel entertained best practices for facilitating transnational cooperation to ensure necessary pollution preparedness and response measures account for offshore incident risks. Presenters/participants for this 1.5 hour session included:
- RAC/REMPITEC (US Coast Guard Liaison to Caribbean IMO OSPPR) Regional Activity Center/ Regional Marine Pollution Emergency Information and Training Center for the Wider Caribbean
- Director of NIMOS (Suriname’s Offshore EPA)
- Total VP for HSSE
- Senior Rep for OSRL
IADC was pleased to participate in Suriname’s workshop and summit, and we look forward to supporting the growing energy industry in the region.